Thursday, May 1, 2008

Micah Owings stop hitting home runs.

Ok. so here I am fulfilling my destiny of becoming a blogger. Even though it's for this schwag website that gets no exposure what so ever. But maybe I can lose the nickname of "Skip Bayliss" so kindly provided by my admiring peers. Maybe they will see I'm not out of my mind when I say that Mike Pelfrey is a stud. I won't even talk about basketball because in 22 years I have never learned how to shoot a jumper. I'll leave all that talk to BK. When the Knicks win more than 30 games, then maybe I'll talk. For now, I'll tackle Fantasy Baseball and suggest players that you should or should not add, but should definitely be aware of. It's mostly all coming from a deep keeper league perspective.

3 Pitchers:
Dana Eveland
Greg Smith
Chad Gaudin

I'm sure you're all aware of the latter, but the other 2 young (studs) have tremendous minor league numbers, with about 400 innings work. Generally 500 is a benchmark you would like your minor league pitchers to gain before coming into the show. Both were acquired by Billy Beane's ridiculous quantitative brain coming over in the Danny Haren trade. We all know what has come out of Oakland in the past ten years, especially on the pitching side of things. These two young (studs) should post low whips (1.20-1.30) and should each win over 10 games.

3 Hitters:
Clint Barmes
-Potential (emphasis on potential) 20/20 2b for the Rockies. Posting a high OPS so far.

Matt Laporta
-Hasn't had enough minor league at bats to see if the power will sustain, but the average certainly does. So far in 202 at bats he's hit 19 hrs, with a .300 average, .380 obp, and a .670 slug. Be aware he hasn't even seen AAA yet.

Wladimir Balentien
-Just got called up by Seattle. Signed when he was 14 or 15. Ridiculous. If he gets 400 at bats he could probably hit 20 homeruns and steal 10-15 bags. Just check his minor league stats to really see how consistent a player this kids been. Would like to see his average and OBP about 20 points higher each, but that could happen in the big leagues. Tricky how baseball works.

These names should all be familiar with you by now if you want to call yourself a fantasy player. I have Clint Barmes in my keeper league, basically to get some work in for Cano while he's struggling, and also because he has SS elgibility and I had Rollins go down. Keppinger has done a nice job filling in for Rollins, but Barmes provides a little more pop and SB then Keppinger. Keppinger is a high OPS guy, but Barmes has maintained his OPS so far this year. Rollins is back sooner or later but I haven't suffered that much. This is where these young guys come in handy, especially when they are hot.

vote, invest, and blaze.
peace.

No comments: