Wednesday, April 30, 2008

NBA Playoffs

I've been infatuated with the NBA this season. The first Finals I remember watching were in 1994, with my hometown Knicks facing Hakeem's Rockets. This was the Finals that was interrupted by the O.J. chase.
I've been a fan of the NBA ever since.
I watched the second 3-peat, the emergence of the Kobe-Shaq dynasty and the Tim Duncan dynasty. I remember disliking the Lakers so much because of, what seemed to me watching on TV, a clear discrepancy on the foul line. It seemed every time the Blazers or the Kings got close to beating them, the refs would start to call fouls on whomever was guarding Shaq, be it Brian Grant, Rasheed Wallace, C-Webb or Vlade Divac. I'm sure the stats don't back me up or that even in some games the Blazers had more free throw attempts than the Lakers.
But I digress.
I look back on those days of the NBA on NBC and can't help but think the announcers were better back then. Marv Albert, Bob Costas, Tom Hammond, Steve "Snapper" Jones, Doug Collins, Isiah Thomas, Bill Walton, Matt Guokas and the Czar, Mike Fratello.
Now I can only claim to be fans of Mike Breen, Mike Tirico, Hubie Brown, Doug Collins, Mark Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy.
Marv somewhere along the line jumped the shark. I think the Czar blew a gasket during his most recent stint coaching in the NBA.
TNT broadcasting pairs are so all over the place. Doug Collins is the best and really the only TNT guy I will listen too. Reggie Miller has his moments and his chemistry with Marv is great at times, but his voice. I can't believe this has never been mentioned. I think Dick Stockton is asleep for half the game, and he relies way too much on telling the viewer where the last guy who scored went to college and how long he's been in the NBA.
I beg TNT to not invite Coach Dunleavy back for the second round. I know he coaches and can get access to the coaches and players because they have respect for him but what does he really know about the Hawks or Raptors? He just finished an 82 game struggle with the Clippers, how much does he know about the players and their styles. Maybe he's coached 1 or 2 players somewhere along the line, but I would rather an NBA writer like Mike Wilbon sit with Matt Devlin. What is the worst that could happen. Devlin and Dunleavy have no history together and neither would Wilbon, but at least we know he watches more than 1 team.

No comments: