Friday, June 27, 2008

Draft Thoughts

Thanks to the rain delay in Pittsburgh that ultimately postponed the Yankee game, I hate to say it but I watched the entire 2008 NBA Draft. Anyone who watched that horrible broadcast and still considers Stu Scott to be a good anchor/host has lost their mind. The 4 guys on set were awful. And that's all I'm going to say about that because writing about it will make me mad that I wasted 5 hours watching them.

Anyway here are some of my thoughts about the draft, which as I look at the players selected is pretty weak.

Now that it seems the T-Wolves have traded O.J. Mayo and some bums to Memphis for Kevin Love, Mike Miller and some bums, I think they shoot up to near the top of the list of winners.
At least Mayo got out of Minnesota, it takes a special kind of player to be surrounded by snow for the entire season. But seriously why does the GM of Memphis get paid. He clearly sucks at his job.

New Jersey Nets made out like bandits getting 2 steals in Brook Lopez and CDR, both of whom will have that chip on the shoulder type attitude for their careers or until they get paid. (The NBA where playing hard for 3 years to get paid and then mailing it in happens.) The only thing I know about their 2nd pick is that he was the guy that got fouled against UCLA in that corner trap only a foul wasn't called, thus starting UCLA's run of non-calls that ultimately got them to the Final Four.

Portland is going to be SICK. Joey Dorsey coming off the bench to give energy and put-back dunks when Greg Oden is double teamed will be nuts. I'm putting the over/under on shattered backboards for Dorsey's career in Portland at 1.5. Trading Brandon Rush for Jerryd Bayless is a great move. Rush is the same type of player Brandon Roy is, now Roy can move to the 2 guard and Bayless can run the show.


Wooooooooo. The MAAC gets some love. Rider's Jason Thompson get taken 3 rounds to early by the Sacramento Kings. Huh? I do like the Kings pick of Patrick Ewing Jr., who can potentially be a poor man's Gerald Wallace, but I don't like it enough to overcome the fact that they picked a guy from the MAAC. If they were going to pick from that conference why not pick Tay Fisher. Everyone who reads this blog LOVES Tay Fisher. (Seriously. Think about it. You all do.)

The Bobcats have still yet to prove that they belong in the NBA. D.J. Augustin and Alexis Ajinca. Right positions but wrong players. Michael Jordan is really bad at this GM thing, isn't he?

Oh well. It's been a long night. So I leave you with a little bit of absurd trivia that you all know I love so much.
Q: Who was the first player ever selected from the NBA D-League?
A: Mike Taylor, PG. He was selected 55th overall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with a lot of the things your saying Brendan but the most important aspect, rather the most important aspect of the draft to me, is always the entourages players bring which has faded in recent years and the outfits people have worn-Jalen Rose in a blood red suit comes to mind. David Stern trying to clean up the leagues image-when he is clearly a borderline crook himself-is a joke. If anyone here reads the sports guy on espn.com he described the look he gave Michael Beasley when they shook hands something to the effect as - if I ever have to meet with you in my office in the next few years you will regret it (the sports guy wrote it much funnier). And regarding that you know Michael Beasley is gonna be getting boozed up on South Beach Vegas would not even put odds on that if they had the chance.

As for the talent in the draft I can not comment too in depth but I would say its weaker then most years especially considering were in year 2 or 3 of no high school players being drafted. Freshman were well represented and I think there are some intriguing prospects. I would have loved to see Rose or Love stay in college and make another run at a National Championship but I do not blame them for taking the bills. Rose in Chicago should be interesting probably a lot of rediculous behind the scenes issues that will effect him. You know some of his "boys" will be looking for money. I like the Love/Mayo trade from Minnesota's side. Chris Wallace (GM of Memphis) is horrible after the Gasol trade he should have been banned from the league. Other players I like: obviously Thompson from Ryder...stud. Definetly Bayless too Portland you can only hope Oden does not have an injury ridden career because they will be a force if that is not the case. Obviously the Nets are gunning for Lebron in two years with the moves they are making-the briefly considered trading Vince Carter for Wally Sczerbiak? straight up-Then probably realized they would attract less fans then an AHL team if they moved Carter.

That's all I can handle writing right now but wear are the co-bloggers Stan and Jeezy???

Anonymous said...

the grammar is stellar I apologize

MF said...

im about as lost on the nba as matt lowen would be at a bloc party concert.

the knicks did the predictable thing.

david stern is the man. and the nba gives hope to all gamblers. just take 4th quarter overs.