Thursday, May 22, 2008

Joba News

The day has finally come. The Savior has been in our presence but only now we are going to unleash his true power. Of course I'm talking about Joba Chamberlain, the boy wonder. Your not going to get an argument from me about him. The 44 and 1/3 innings he has thrown have been, except for midges and David Dellucci, phenomenal. But it's only 44 innings. Through 2 months of the season and a little over a month from last year, he has created a buzz that hasn't been seen since the days of Fernando Valenzuela.
Will Joba be an ace of the staff for the next 10 years? I don't know. But isn't it worth the chance to see what the kid can do?
I've wavered on this ever since the ideas was floated by Hank in the off season. At the beginning of the year I told jeezy that he should stay in the bullpen. But now? You'll see me leading the charge to get him into the rotation. I might even return to the Church to see if we can get a little Divine intervention on Joba's behalf.
Even though I'm of the belief that Joba should be in the rotation I'm not stupid. I know that it's impossible for him to maintain that 99 mph fastball for 6 or 7 innings and any Yankee fan who thinks that, should become a Pirates fan, because you know nothing about baseball. Joba will probably pitch somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100 innings. He'll most likely miss a couple of weeks getting some starts in Charleston, Trenton and Scranton.
Now if Joba can pitch to league averages the Yankees will make the playoffs. (That sound you heard is our most faithful reader Kevin's jaw hitting the floor) If Joba can pitch around 6 innings per start have a solid 4.00 ERA he'll give the Yankees life much in the way he did last year. Let's hope the Joba well hasn't dried up.

ps. Mets fans leave Wille alone.

No comments: